Our clinicians have special experience with parents of disabled children. It can be hard for most people to understand what these families go through on a daily basis. Examples of common stressors involved in raising a child with special needs include:
- Having to take unpaid time off work to take your child to multiple medical appointments
- Difficulties taking your child on vacation
- Coping with lost dreams for your child and grief over his/her diagnosis
- Trying to help your child with friendships and peers
- Trying to find respite care so you and your family can get a break
- Dating while parenting a disabled child
The list, of course, goes on and on. Please do not go through this alone.